"A house is not a home unless it contains food and fire for the mind as well as the body." - Benjamin Franklin


Friday, December 10, 2010

Panda-lala Salad:

On the menu tonight is a salad I created and love to make routinely. My diet is more leaning toward on the vegetarian side so eating salad once a week is the protocol in my family.  I like to mix and match with different variety of lettuces and try different salad dressings. A combination of fruits with lettuces in a salad is always a good choice.


This mouth watering salad is very light. I made the dressing out of balsamic vinegar and olive oil. The balsamic vinegar gives out a touch of citrus flavor which blends perfectly with the sweetness from the Fuji Apple. I used spring mixed as the choice of lettuce because of the varieties, fresh orange/yellow peppers and grape tomatoes are great for presentation. The Lollo Rossa has a sweetish flavor and the Frisee has a bitterness which creates a great contrasting flavor to the salad.  Finally, the dry basil I used in the dressing bring out the enticing aroma awakens the senses and arouses the appetite.
The whole work is unquestionably fresh and delicious. In my years of making salads, this is the best combination of all. Since I am inventor of this salad, I should give it a name. My name is “Lala” and my husband often called me by my nickname, “Panda”, I might as well call this a…“Panda-lala Salad”!  I hope you like my creation.



Ingredients:

**Salad:
1 box of Spring Mixed lettuce
3 scallion green onions
1 small Fuji Apple
1 yellow pepper
1 orange pepper
10 grapes tomatoes

**Dressing:
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon dry basil
2 pinch of black peppers
1 pinch of salt
½ teaspoon sugar

Preparation:

Mix the dressing on a separate bowl. Put all the salad ingredients into a big bowl and mix it evenly with the pre-made dressing. Simple and delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment